Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc. is a nonprofit 501(c)3 service organization dedicated to supporting the Armed Forces and their families while promoting patriotism. The national organization formed in 1942 during WWII and was chartered by Congress in 1960. The Houston Area Chapter was organized and chartered in 2004 by a few mothers from the Kingwood area. Our membership generally runs between 80-100 during our fiscal year.
The primary mission in our chapter is organizing and sending care packages consisting of personal hygiene items, socks, snacks, reading materials and any other items that will lift the spirits of our brave men and women serving in combat zones. During the course of a year, we send over 1,200 care packages. Postage is a huge expense ranging from $16-$20 per box plus the average cost of supplies can run $30-$40 per box. The cost for postage, supplies and goodies to send those packages runs a little over $27,000 annually.
We receive supplies donations throughout the year from various companies, organizations and individuals. A favorite of all the Military Troops is Girl Scout Cookies. We have been blessed with some major donations over the past few seasons and were able to send around 4,800 individual packages of cookies to our deployed troops in a single year. The generosity of our community is amazing.
Our main fundraiser that we assist with is the Kingwood Fallen Heroes Memorial Golf Tournament. This annual event began in 2012 and is still going strong to this date to honor three former Kingwood residents who died while serving their country in Middle Eastern combat zones. The charities that benefit from this golf tournament support our military, veterans, and their families. We are honored to be one of the charities.
We also participate in veteran and wounded warrior programs, as well as homecomings and send offs of our military personnel. Blue Star Moms also attend funeral services of fallen heroes to pay homage for paying the ultimate sacrifice and provide support to their families.
Because of the unwavering generosity of local businesses, schools, churches, various youth groups, and everyday citizens, we are able to fulfill our mission throughout the year. Thank you for your continued support of our troops!
History of the Organization
On January 22,1942 the Flint News Advertiser printed a coupon asking Mothers of serviceman to return the coupon after filling it out. The following February 1st 300 mothers met in the Duran Hotel, in Flint Michigan. Captain George H. Maines, who had conceived the idea for this group, acted as the chair of this first meeting. It was decided that after receiving 1000 responses from the ad to form a permanent organization.
On February 6th the organization was reported on Congressional record. Chapters then formed in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Oregon, California, Iowa and Washington.
In June of 1960 the organization was chartered by congress.
Mothers volunteered throughout the tough times of World War II. They worked in hospitals, train stations, packed care packages for soldiers, and were a working part of homeland security during times of war. The organization waned in size over the years but has held together by mothers showing pride in both their children and country. In recent times we have begun to grow in strength. Being attacked on our own soil has once again started mothers hanging flags in their windows at home, proclaiming pride in the fact that we have children protecting our freedom during times of war.
Blue Star Moms Houston Area Chapter (Chapter II)
Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc is a nonprofit service organization supporting each other, our children and promoting patriotism in the greater Houston area. The organization is open to Mothers who have or have had children serving in the United States Armed Forces. We have an associate membership for Fathers, other family members or friend of a military person also. Everyone is welcome!
No matter what branch of the military your loved one serves in, we are here for you! The date of our very first meeting was September 21, 2004.